Saturday, November 07, 2009

Mumma's Birthday And Going Back To Where We Belong

We celebrated Mumma's fiftieth today in compensation for last year. I felt so bad for her, completely ruining last year because of my papers and I had promised to make it up to her this year. So we celebrated her 50th today and we celebrate her 51st tomorrow :)

I gave her tons of options and wherever she wanted to go we'd go. I knew she wanted to go back to Khan Market. She's been wanting to go back for years and some how I've never managed to get her there.

Mumma's grown up in Khan Market. Spending winters there because Kashmir was way too cold. So naturally, I've grown up hearing stories of Khan and how much fun every one had together.

Over the three years in college I've spent a lot of time in Khan myself. I even looked up Flat no. 10 and reported back to her that it now housed a salon.

As I drove towards the parking I could sense her excitement. She started looking around and told me of how she remembered it. I let her lead the way. I knew where she wanted to go first. 10, Khan Market. She stood there and just looked. I could sense all those memories flooding back. We even went up and looked around, as she proudly announced to all in sight that she used to live there earlier.

We went all around the market. I heard stories of night stays, bike rides, morning walks and more. I've heard most of them before and I know I'd love to hear them all over again. She told me of shops that were there even when she was young. She told me how much the place had changed.

I thought we'd go to CP next but she wanted to go to Lodhi Garden. I know how much she used to love those morning walks with Papaji. She looked around like an excited kid. We walked all over the place and I loved the fact that she was completely enjoying herself.

Its been a wonderful wonderful day. We haven't spent this sort of time together in a very long time and I'm very glad we did.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUMMA :)

2 comments:

Archana said...

Ghazal you make me cry.... n i Hate u for that....N i love u even more than i did before.... this peice is so heart touching....!

nitasha said...

It truly is , specially for another mumma, at another place , missing her own Gazals. And to read such a sensitively written 50th birthday piece is well, at best touching. Well GAZAL , I stunmbled upon your writing and as i've known your name since many years , just decided to take a peek.thank you it was a treat. much love to u and your mumma and your papa? daddy ? father ? whatever u call Raman.I know him since 1982 or so from Amritsar. Met your mumma last in 1989 or so... cheers.