Friday, October 30, 2009

Of Home, Audits, Train Rides And All That Jazz

I've just come back from my first out station audit.

It was my first trip alone in years.

I wasn't looking forward to it a lot but it eventually turned out to be a lot of fun. I suddenly realised how use to I am to staying in Delhi. I crib about the traffic but deserted roads in Panchkula made me uncomfortable.I complain about the millions of people and zero breathing space but an almost empty mall on a Saturday evening made me feel like I had landed on Mars.

I love Delhi.

But I never really knew that. I've always wanted to move out. I've made extravagant plans of moving to DC or owning a farm in Vienna. I'd never even considered that leaving would ever be an issue.

I also didn't love the whole being alone bit as much as I thought I would. Mornings just dragged on forever. I must have called home some three times even before breakfast. The silence at night wasn't soothing and that stupid coir mattress didn't help either.

I discovered family and the fun of hanging out with cousins. I've never felt so loved by relatives in a really long time. Those late night gossip sessions still have me in splits. I hope we get to meet more often !

To top it all the work wasn't that bad either. Tons of new stuff that I will hopefully remember.

It was a great week and I'm glad to be back home !!

No comments: