Saturday, November 14, 2009

Here Comes That Train !

The Metro's finally reached Noida !!

I've lived through a lot of construction work, diversions and traffic jams for the last 2 and half years. Needless to say I've really anticipated this moment. The sight of the train being tested a week before gave me such a kick! So yes, I couldn't wait for Friday, the thirteenth.

Mumma couldn't stop talking about it on Friday. She even clicked a photo of it from our balcony. First day was going to be mad so we figured we'd risk Saturday and go for a ride. Of course, half of Noida would have used the train on Friday. The other half, unfortunately decided to turn up the exact moment that I did. So the station was jam packed when we got there. I'd quite literally dreamt of the day I would buy my Smart Card ( yes, I am slightly dramatic). The platform was a total mess !! There were just too many people trying to spot the train. I love the fact that I can spot my house from the platform. So yes, fifteen minutes later the train decided to grace us with its presence.

And then the pushing and shoving began. I've travelled in blue lines and DTCs before so I'm used to it all and over the years have learnt to hold my ground even if it is a few square centimetres. Mumma though hasn't been in a bus for quite some time. I could see how much the rush was bothering her. We ended up standing right next to the doors. So she tried telling people not to get in at several stations. Obviously, that didn't work. And just as we were pushed and shoved in, we were pushed out at Rajeev Chowk.

I'd like to believe that the once the initial excitement wears of, the rush will get staggered. But I'm also painfully aware that there's no way that I can avoid all that rush always. Sadly, the Metro can't make people disappear. Or may be everyone will travel by the train and the roads will be emptier. Maybe not.

The ride back was much better. We got seats and watching the lit up line from the Metro was great.

Thank you DMRC :)

1 comment:

Vivek Bijlwan said...

I would have found that confusing(and well a little funny as well) if someone told me not to get on the metro or a bus simply because it was crowded.
I like your mom for doing that!