Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Of Blue Elephants and Disappearing Parks

I see those statues everyday. Wrapped in blue plastic waiting to be unveiled. It makes me sick every single day. Mayawati and her army of blue elephants trampling over every park in sight.Endless articles have and will be written on the money and environment. But she's also managed to single handedly destroy much more than that.

I remember driving by those walls a couple of months back. Kari and I thought it was to border the parks. Little did we know that Mayawati was just trying to keep all the demolition out of sight. I remember how Papa came home all distressed one day. He had managed to get a glance behind those massive stone walls. He couldn't stop talking about how everything had been razed to the ground. He could see the swirls of mud spilling onto the road from his office.

I don't remember the last time I went to Nandan Kanan but I have a lot of happy memories there. The endless orange bars I've had there, the school picnics, sleeping in the winter sun and taking a drive just to see the fountains light up the night.

Its all gone now.

And even though there's a stay and the court might intervene, what was is now all gone.

If I could, I'd love to go throw a shoe at those stupid statues.

2 comments:

Vivek Bijlwan said...

Nandan Kanan .... it brings nostalgia.
I guess every Noidaite of our generation would be having sweet memories of that place.
I thought only the rose gardens were gone.

Ghazal said...

Everything is gone vivek!!

The whole row of parks.

I think only the rose garden is left.The one right next to the Gautam Buddha statue.