Saturday, January 26, 2008

Books..

I cant believe I haven't made this list as yet. I fear its almost going to be the same as yours Pooja!

A Book that made you laugh:

No Onions nor Garlic by Srividya Natarajan. A mere mention of this book puts a smile on my face. Imagine college boys dressed up as fairies! The added bonus being the Tam Brahms who like me are onion haters!!

A Book that made you cry :

The first book I ever cried on was Heidi. I have a tendency to get very emotional while reading. So there are plenty of books whose pages I have ruined because of my tears.

Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. The last few pages always bring tears to my eyes when Gogol discovers the inscription his dad had made so many years ago.

A Fine Balance / Tales From FirozshaBagh by Rohinton Mistry:

Mistry's book always make me very emotional. Its hard not to cry because he writes such real stories. When M commits suicide in a Fine Balance I couldn't control myself. His characters are not heroes , they are normal people who cave into desires and are not always right.

A Book that scared you :

Wild Swans/ Mao: An Unknown Story by Jung Chang. It just showed how men can go to any extreme to get and retain power. To read the about the predicament of those millions of Chinese really freaked me out. Mao's ideas to me are just really scary. Someone like that actually existed is still hard for me to believe.

A Book that disgusted you :

Probably Pet Cemetery by Stephen King. People dying and returning back as zombies just didn't go down to well with me. I had nightmares for three consecutive nights after I finished the book.

A Book you loved in elementary school:

Till class V it was the amazing Ladybird series with the Town Mouse & Country Mouse, The Princess and the Pea, Heidi etc.

A book you loved in Middle School:

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck was my favorite from 6th to 8th. The writing is simple and yet the story was so powerful. It was one of the first books my mother passed on to me from her huge collection and it is one that I will treasure forever.

A Book you loved in High School:

Not Without My Daughter- Betty Mahmoody
A Fine Balance- Rohinton Mistry
Aparajito- Bhibhutibhushan Bhandopadya
Through the Corridors of Power- PC Alexander

A Book you loved in college:

A Thousand Splendid Suns: Khalid Hosseini
Half of a Yellow Sun

A Book that challenged your identity:

Half of a Yellow Sun
I Dare- Kiran Bedi
Little Women

A Series that you love:

Malory Towers- Enid Blyton
Harry Potter

Your favorite Horror Book:

None

Your favorite Science Fiction:

A Journey to the Centre of the Earth- Jules Verne

Your favorite (Auto)Biography:

A Long Walk to Freedom- Nelson Mandela
Mao: An Unknown Story
Not Without My Bike: Lance Armstrong

Your favorite " Coming of Age Book"

Pather Panchali
The KiteRunner
Thorn Birds

Your favorite Classic:

Gone With the Wind
Anna Karenina

Your favorite Romance Book:

Thorn Birds

3 comments:

Pooja said...

oi how come you skipped categories ?
anyways thanks for doing the tag :)

Vipul Nanda said...

Holy shit, you're the only person I know who also has read Rohinton Mistry.

I love A Fine Balance. His portrait of Parsi family life was exquisite.

Ghazal said...

You're the first guy I k now whose even heard of Mistry.. I'm impressed :)