Monday, January 11, 2010

Of Delhi Winters And Related Adventures

This one's been in the making ever since I read Siddharth's post on Delhi (http://siddharthkrishnamoorthy.blogspot.com/2009/12/ode-to-theedelhi.html).

The last couple of days have got me thinking of the city even more. It all started with my early morning Metro ride. I have class at seven every other day. The fog that descended last Tuesaday made it impossible for me to drive. I had to get to class and the only option was to take the Metro.

So I took the train at quarter to seven, discovering in the process how early morning rides are a perfect opportunity to let the mind wander. The train was enveloped in a blanket of white till Akshardham. Thats when I started thinking of Delhi. I've spent twenty years in staying here ( and I don't care if you don't consider Noida a part of Delhi, I always will). Even though I like to proclaim myself to be a Kashmiri, I'm a complete Delhite.

There's something about this place thats completely unique. Its not just the myriad of people or the potent mix of culture. Its not just the long drawn traffic jams or the Blue lines. Most importantly for me, it is our ability to always be interesting.

You can never get bored in Delhi.

Never ever.

Delhi has to be one of the perfect places to spend time alone. My walk from the Metro station to class made me aware of just that. There's always so much happening around. Even if its 7:15 a.m

I walk and travel alone from class to office. There's hasn't been one day where something interesting hasn't happened. I've seen a pick pocket being caught, an uncle lecture the Metro on the "DTC culture" and a rickshaw wala who was intent on turning a two minute ride into a roller coaster nightmare. All in one day.

I still crib about the traffic, the lack of courtesy, the rash driving and more. But every Sunday as I walk from Pragati Maidan to ITO, I fall in love with the city and realise that it is here that I belong.

2 comments:

Swagz said...

Loved the post....you will hate the city,,,,but will miss the it when you are away,,,,the melting pot of cultures from all over the country,,,the wide roads,....the greenery......apni Saddi Dilli

Ghazal said...

I know!

Its already hitting me..and I'm not going anywhere..

Its like I'm rediscovering Delhi.